MyLibraryNYC is an innovative new pilot program for school and public libraries in New York City. It encourages student reading by expanding student and teacher access to public library books and removing common barriers to borrowing them.
- Book Delivery to Schools. Books delivered from public libraries directly to teachers in NYC schools. Teachers can order books from their school or home. It’s as easy as getting a pizza delivered.
- Fine-free Borrowing. It’s available for both teachers and students at pilot schools. This enables students who have outstanding fines to begin borrowing books again for school assignments and for fun. Procedures for clearing fines vary by library system. Contact your library for details.
- A School/Public Library Union Catalog. The MyLibraryNYC online catalog combines the collections of the school and public libraries in one place, enabling students and teachers to locate, hold and order delivery of books to their school. The catalog connects all 3 NYC public library systems with local public school libraries, through a new student-friendly interface developed by BiblioCommons Inc.
- Teacher Book Sets. Classroom Sets (30-35 copies of a single title like To Kill a Mockingbird or The Fault in Our Stars; sets for Gr. K-5 have 30 copies; sets for Gr. 6-12 have 35 copies) Topic Sets (10-30 copies of multiple titles on single topic like one copy of 12 titles on Brazil for Grades 2-5) Book Club Sets (10 copies of a single title like The Maze Runner or This Star Won’t Go Out) The NYC public libraries, in cooperation with the DOE, have developed hundreds of book sets designed to support the NYC curriculum in all grades and most subjects.
- More Borrowing Privileges. Pilot Educators may borrow more books for longer time and place more holds than regular users.
- MyLibraryNYC is now at several hundred NYC public schools.
- MyLibraryNYC is a pilot program of the NYC Department of Education and the city’s 3 public library systems: Brooklyn Public Library, New York Public Library (serving The Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island) and Queens Library.
- MyLibraryNYC is expected to expand to more schools each year until the program is available throughout the entire NYC school system. Schools are invited to participate by School Library Services at the NYC Department of Education.