What is MyLibraryNYC?
MyLibraryNYC is a partnership between the NYC Department of Education and New York City’s public library systems: Brooklyn Public Library, New York Public Library, and Queens Library. The program provides participating schools with:
- enhanced library privileges including fine-free student and educator library cards*;
- school delivery and the exclusive use of 6,000+ Teacher Sets designed for educator use in the classroom; and
- student and educator access to the unparalleled digital resources of New York City’s public library systems as well as instructional support and professional development opportunities.
*No overdue charges on books, audiobooks, or teacher sets; standard overdue charges apply on all other materials (e.g. DVDs, CDs, magazines); Queens has Read Down Your Fines for Student Cards; any excessively delinquent or negligent educator and student accounts will be blocked.
DOES MY SCHOOL PARTICIPATE IN MYLIBRARYNYC?
You can see the list of participating schools at mylibrarynyc.org/about/participating-schools.
HOW CAN MYLIBRARYNYC BENEFIT MY SCHOOL?
“MyLibraryNYC Brings Public Library Services to City Schools, 500,000+ Students” in School Library Journal (June 24, 2015)
“MyLibraryNYC program opens up endless possibilities for cash-strapped schools” in UFT: United Federation of Teachers (Jan 8, 2015)
“MyLibraryNYC Program Serves Schools” in UFT: United Federation of Teachers (Dec 10, 2014)
HOW CAN MY SCHOOL JOIN MYLIBRARYNYC?
To find if your school is eligible to participate in the program for the upcoming school year, please visit the DOE Office of Library Services website or call 212-356-8572.
Participation requirements include the following:
- School must have a functioning and automated school library
- (If not currently automated, school must agree to automate their school library to the ILS platform Destiny)
- School must have a school librarian or teacher assigned to the school library
- School must agree to pay an annual program fee
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
How long does it take to get teacher sets delivered to my school? All available teacher sets will be delivered in about 2 weeks by UPS to your school.
How long can I borrow the teacher sets? Teachers can keep teacher sets (and other books and audiobooks you borrow from your local library) for up to 60 days. Plus, teachers never pay fines on overdue books.
Who is eligible to participate? All educators and students at participating schools are eligible.
What are Teacher Sets? There are two types of Teacher Sets:
- Topic Sets (10-30 copies of multiple titles on a single topic, such as Newbery Award Winners)
- Book Club Sets (10 copies of a single title, such as The Fault in Our Stars)
Teacher Sets are curated collections of items based on subjects or individual titles. You can search for Teacher Sets by grade band, subject, topic, and keyword.
Start browsing our Teacher Sets now through our Teacher Set catalog.